What you will need:
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts
2 garlic cloves
7 ounces (200 g) extra-firm tofu
½ cup (125 mL) chopped zucchini
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon (2 mL) dried oregano
¼ teaspoon (1 mL) red pepper flakes
½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh basil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 ounces (140 g) brown rice lasagna noodles
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1 can (14.5 ounces/411 g) diced tomatoes
2 zucchini, sliced into thin planks
1 cup (250 mL) grated pecorino cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Make the zucchini “ricotta”: In a food processor, combine the walnuts, garlic, tofu, chopped zucchini, lemon juice, oregano, red pepper flakes, basil, and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Process to a spreadable consistency.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente. Drain and rinse.
- Drizzle a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) pan with olive oil, then layer the ingredients as follows:
- First layer: a third of the tomatoes, half of the noodles, half of the ricotta, half of the zucchini
- Second layer: a third of the tomatoes, half of the noodles, half of the ricotta, half of the zucchini
- Top with the remaining third of the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 to 30 more minutes, or until the zucchini is tender but still has a bite and the tomatoes and cheese are bubbling. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.