Makes Approximately 20 Chicken & Sweet Potato Chewers.
This recipe is practically a roast dinner in jerky form!
This is another recipe that does take a considerable time investment though. If your dog favors these chewers, as well as the BBQ Chicken Strips and Beef Jerky , I think you’re definitively on track to look at investing in a dehydrator.
Ingredients for chicken & sweet potato chewers dog treats
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 oz. ground chicken
1 teaspoon chia seeds
Note: It is recommended to freeze meat for at least 1 week prior to turning it into chews. This helps kill any parasites in the meat.
How to make chicken & sweet potato chewers dog treats
1. Preheat oven to 70°C / 160°F—select “Vent Bake” on your oven if you have that option. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place sweet potato cubes in a saucepan, adding just enough water to cover. Bring to boil, cover, then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until softened.
3. Drain sweet potato and while still warm, puree in food processor. Add in the chicken and chia; then puree until fully combined.
4. Place mixture into a piping bag and pipe out long lines onto your tray. The thicker the lines, the longer they will take to dehydrate in the oven. Bake for 10 hours until your treats are firm and not sticky. (If your oven doesn’t have a “vent bake” option, after about 1½ hours you can open the oven door slightly and leave ajar to decrease moisture. Only do this if the environment is safe to do so. Do not leave your oven unattended.)
5. When your treats have finished cooking, increase the temperature to 150°C / 300°F and blast for 3 minutes to kill any surface pathogens—this makes the treats safe for you to handle.
6. Remove from oven, and allow to cool. While they are still warm to touch, cut in half or to your desired treat length.
HANDY HINT: Don’t have a piping bag? A Ziploc bag with the end cut off works just as well!