These Beefy Bacon Dog Bones Treats will have your pups hopping for enjoyment or sitting like a well mannered dog waiting for their rewards in a very quiet place during dinner.
Makes 30 3-inch-long dog bone–shaped cookies
These hard, crunchy bones smell strongly of bacon. Dax, a 10-year-old Australian Shepherd, and Gordan, a 2-year-old Pug, both choose these treats over a variety of
others in taste tests.
Ingredients for Beefy Bacon Dog Bones
1 cup beef broth
1 cup crumbled cooked hamburger
4 tablespoons bacon fat
4 to 6 slices bacon, well cooked and crumbled
1 large egg
4 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk
3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 cup warm water
1 cup cornmeal, for rolling out treats
How to make Beefy Bacon Dog Bones:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the first five ingredients until well combined. Stir in the flour, powdered milk, and baking powder.
3. Add the warm water slowly, up to 1⁄2 cup, until a ball of dough forms. (The entire 1⁄2 cup of water may not be needed.) The dough may be a bit sticky.
4. Knead the dough until all the ingredients are well mixed.
5. Put the cornmeal on a breadboard, place the dough on it, and flatten the dough with your hands. If it’s sticky, turn it over in the cornmeal a couple times. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to slightly over 1⁄4 inch thick.
6. Use a 3-inch-long bone–shaped cookie cutter to cut out the dough.
7. Place on greased cookie sheets.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.
9. Remove from the oven, let cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
For sleeker treats, switching the oven off when all the cookies have been cooked. On a cookie sheet, put all the cookies back on and return them to the oven. Set them for several hours or overnight to harden in the cooling oven.